Friday, October 12, 2012

Oklahoma bow season update

Been hunting mornings. We had a cold snap last weekend and it got down to 39-40 2 nights in row, but other than that it has been warm. I have seen very little buck sign, just a couple rubs and 1 small scrape. I have see 21 deer, but because I'm hunting the same open field it's probably the same 4 or 5 deer that are there. No bucks so far, but we have one good 10 point on camera. This early season hunting is almost just practice, getting back into the routine, fine tuning.
Going to hunting camp this weekend with TR to hunt mornings, but mostly to get things ready and stands up for the 3 day youth hunt. Last year the boys all got deer during youth so hopefully this year will be the same.
Soon the bucks will be on the move and rattling will start. Last year both TR and I rattled bucks in, but because of our inexperience doing this we didn't score. TR saw the buck he rattled in (same buck twice) just wasn't in the right position. Big dark non typical !!! Scouting the area recently TR found scrapes and new rubs in the same places as last year so hopefully he is still there. We are leaving the area alone until the right time and right wind. The bucks I rattled in both came in from downwind and I was facing into the wind. dah!!
I heard them come in but never saw them. One thing we were missing last year was some incentive for the bucks to close the last 50 yards or so. This year we have big buck decoy that should make the bucks come in. We are also going to team up when we rattle. It should be fun.

I got my Iowa buck mount back(see other post). It came out nice and is on the wall. It scored 142.5 which is the biggest for me so far. The deer was only a 8 point but has a very large frame. The horns are not very symmetrical either so both these items lowered the score. The taxidermist did not age him so I don't the age, but he is grayish. The experience of getting this deer with Dick there was special. We had a moment and thought about Bob.  Good times!!











1 comment: