Thursday, October 11, 2012

My memories from the past

I too think back on my hunting experiences, what ive seen,where ive been and the teachings that made me the avid hunter i am today. Growing up in a family of hunters put me in the woods early. At seven years old i began walking with members of the old hunting party.My dad,uncle tom,grampa allen,uncle bob,uncle tom,steve yaw,tim oconner,gary delorme and the list goes on. At a young age i got to drag a coyote Dick Dions killed in hague on Steves grandfathers property.There i also was following Tim while driving Peaked hill when i witnessed my first kill,a spikehorn and Tim dragged the buck the rest of the drive as i carried the rifle and led us to the watch line.Me and granpa were on watch once on the cut off on narrows mtn when gramp decided to give my rubix cube a go.Ill never forget tapping him on the side whispering gramp theres deer coming.I think at one of the hunting parties that were thrown yearly gramp received his very own rubix cube as a gag gift.Our party also hunted alot behind putts pond.Taking aluminum boats across putts at the wee hours of the am.Cutting through the ice.This was one of those times Steve Yaws outboard caught on fire.Ill never forget the speed of him unscrewing the motor from the boat and submerging it under water.It started back up and we continued on. Dad once killed a big 9 ptr on the far watch of Big Clear late in the afternoon. The guys had about a 5 hour drag well into the darkness. Gary was the only one with a flashlight to see the trailmarkers that led us out of there. And making a drive with Dick Dions(rest in peace Dick) on the very top of peaked hill..The scenery was the best i remember. There was a time on the number one hill i was making a drive to unble Bob, i just couldnt get through the drive. Hours after i had started i had fired seven shots in hopes of hearing a return shot but never did. When i finally got to uncle bob he said what the hell took you so long and he never heard a shot all day.These are just a few memories from way back.Now my memories are with my Dad.We are a party of two now but im still learning.We still hunt Paradox country and get into Gooseneck country from time ti time.We kill our share of bucks have alot of laughs and put our time in.Most of our hunting now is treestands from daylight till dark.Friends ask me how i can sit in a tree for 10 hrs straight.I tell them that its in my blood. Thanks uncle Tom for starting this blog and in a way bringing us all back together again.May all our seasons be filled with success and memories to share..

3 comments:

  1. Trent, We all were lucky as kids for what we were taught. In most areas of the country, kids do not have the opportunity to learn what we did. An old friend of mine said that in two or three generations, hunting would be a thing of the past.Kids are no longer taught to handle guns let alone, hunt with them. Two of my grand kids have been shooting at targets since they were 3 years old with those little 22s. But,I am afraid they will have a hard time finding a place to hunt with all the posting and leasing going on. I never thought that I would see the day that the access road to Goose Neck and the Three Brothers would be posted. Law suits, anti-gun, anti-hunting advocates and metropolitan political clout is ruining it for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes the access rd to gooseneck is closed but we have found ways around the gate and we have been there several times this summer and the Brothers..posted on the road side..i still have access through a friend to hunt them..Im 40 Walt, and i have seen changes too but there are ways, legal ways, to hunt what you want.My answer to the political part....get more kids involved in the sport.Thats why Caleb at 10 yrs old is a big part of my hunting now...I feel ,as an outdoorsman and hunter, our strength is in our numbers..

    ReplyDelete