Thursday, July 18, 2013

Getting ready for 2013 seasonI

It's July 18 and already we are thinking about deer season. Both TR (my son) and I are talking about plans for youth season and muzzle loading season. We have a couple new , very remote, areas to hunt. TR is scouting all ready and seeing big buck sign from last year and giant fresh tracks. These areas are nasty, snakey, and seldom hunted. I have found 99.5% of hunters in OK hunt "pretty" places or easy places. Hard to get to spots, rugged ground or steep hills are seldom hunted much.
I was fortunate enough to work a paper mill shutdown in Ticonderoga, NY and made some good money. I bought TR and his 3 sons all new Summit Viper climbing tree stands. No more messing with those ladder stands for the boys. They are ready for climbers and borrowed mine often last year. Finally bought a Remington  model 760 308 pump for my oldest grandson, my favorite gun for deer. They are fast, light, reliable. My brothers Bob (passed 2003), Dick, and I have killed over 200 bucks with them and thats in the North East where bucks come hard, usually running, 1 per licence. With practice and good low power scopes the pumps are deadly.  Now my son and his 3 boys and I all carry 760's of different calibers. (  308, 35 rem, 30-06) Loaded right u get big exit holes with blood trails about 6 foot long!!!!!!!!!! No small calibers ( 25 06, 243, etc) that people in OK seem to like. My favorite 760 of the boys is the 30-06 carbine with a Burris 1 to 6 variable scope.This gun belonged to my brother Bob it has killed a ton of deer. My youngest grandson TC Allen ownes it now and the first time he hunted with it last year, he killed  first buck a nice 8 point buck during youth season. I rattled it in and my son TR was watching TC's back side with his bow. It was abig time for several reasons.
My cousin Walt Chapleau is coming down for muzzle loading season from Kentucky. Looking forward to that.
TR is working out of his own shop this year so should have more time to hunt and that will be good because we really like hunting together.
We are improving the cabin this year so Dawn ( TR's wife), Judy and Sadie (TR's daughter) can have their own 'women's only' place to sleep and be private. Making some other improvements too.

Keep tuned for more 2013 update notifications I will be sending out.


4 comments:

  1. Yes its just around the corner. I've been putting the work in. Scouting, shooting and trying to get in better shape. I especially look forward to bow hunting with dad up around the lake, at the cabin in the hills and the youth hunt. Good times are soon to come......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Located a good buck in one of my new spots. A trail from a field in to hard woods. One lone fresh rub on a tree about six inches in diameter. Located a good climbing tree,marked and cleared a trail in. Won't go back till opening day of bow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did u consider normal wind direction. Should not hunt it until wind is right. Of course u know this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wind blows 10 different ways in 5 min. just got to scent hard and climb high.

    ReplyDelete